The Terms & Conditions
1. You must be 14 – 18 years old on 31 July 2015.
2. You must be a resident of the United Kingdom and in full time education.
3. You must submit an application as an individual; or as a group of up to no more than 5 eligible individuals. If you have submitted an application as a group, each member of the group must agree to and comply with these terms and conditions
4. Only one entry per individual is allowed. Entry is free of charge.
5. Family members of the Catapult’s staff are not eligible to participate in this competition.
6. If you are under 16 at the time of submission, you must obtain the consent of your parent or guardian to submit your application.
7. Your application must include your design (whether on paper or in film/digital media) and a completed application form. If the application is a group application, each member of the group must submit a completed application form.
8. Your design must be no longer than 3 A4 pages; or if it is a film/digital media it is no longer than 7 minutes
9. Your design must be your own original work. You must not copy the work of any other person or organisation. You will retain the copyright in your design.
10. Shortlisted applications will be decided by the Catapult. If you have been shortlisted, you will be notified within 14 days of the closing date.
11. Finalists will be invited to present their design to a panel of experts who will determine the eventual winner. The presentations will be held at the Big Bang Fair in Birmingham on the 13th March 2015. If you are unable to attend the presentation, you acknowledge your place may be offered to another applicant. Finalists under 16 must be accompanied to the presentations by an adult. For those 16 and over, you may be accompanied by an adult if you so wish.
12. The winner will win £1,000 plus the opportunity to:
– a. meet the organisation chosen by the Catapult to turn the winning design into a prototype;
– b. go on a tour of the Houses of Parliament with Baroness Susan Kramer, Minister of State for Transport; and
– c. spend a day at the Catapult’s premises in Milton Keynes.
13. The runners up will receive the opportunity to spend a day at the Catapult’s premises in Milton Keynes.
14. If the winner and any runner up is a group application, each member of the group will receive the opportunity to visit the locations named in paragraph 12 and 13. Only one award of £1,000 will be given to the winner. If the winner is a group, this award will be shared equally between the group members.
15. Winner(s) and the runners up who are under 16 must be accompanied by an adult to the locations named in paragraph 12 and 13. Winner(s) and runners up who are 16 and over may be accompanied by an adult if you so wish. Only one adult need accompany any group winner or runner up.
16. Applications must be submitted via the Catapult’s website.
17. Applications must be received by the Catapult no later than 13th February 2015.
18. The Catapult may use:
– a. your name and contact details and that of your teacher and parent in order to administer this competition (e.g. to call you to confirm shortlisting) and any prizes awarded; and
– b. your name and age alongside any publication of your design.
In administering prizes, the Catapult may also share your name and contact detail and that of your teacher and parent to those organisations named in paragraph 12 (a) and (b).
19. If you are shortlisted as a finalist, or win the competition, the Catapult may wish to take a photo of you, which you agree may be published alongside any publication of your design. You may also be asked to participate in publicity relating to the competition.
20. Your information, and that of your teacher and parent, will not be used in any other way than set out in paragraphs 18 and 19 without your prior written consent.
21. The winning design will be turned into a prototype by an organisation of the Catapult’s choosing. The prototype and all rights in it will belong to the Catapult.
22. It is your responsibility to ensure you update the Catapult with any changes to contact details confirmed on your application form. If you are under 16, this is the responsibility of your teacher. Failure to do so may result in you not receiving notifications from the Catapult.
23. If the Catapult needs to contact you it shall do so using the contact details provided on your application form. If you are under 16, the Catapult will contact you via your teacher.
24. By submitting your application, you acknowledge you may lose some intellectual property rights in your design, such as the right to apply for any patent. Further information on intellectual property rights are available here: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/home.htm
25. You allow the Catapult and others to use, publish and share your design (or any part of it) at any time using any medium (eg. tv, radio, internet, magazines and other publications) for any purpose. In doing so, you agree the Catapult and others may amend or modify your design as it sees fit. You also agree you will not charge the Catapult and others if it exercises these rights.
26. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
27. The Catapult may amend, postpone or cancel the competition at any time, in which case the Catapult will make every effort to try and notify you. You should also check the competition website from time to time where any changes to the competition will also be communicated.
The Catapult may disqualify you if you are not eligible to submit an application, or you breach any of these rules.