Entries can be individual or by teams of up to 5 students.
Students need to explain their idea with either a 3-page proposal covering:
- Design illustrations with an indication of key features and the technology used.
- A description of how the design works and meets the assessment criteria.
- A written description or two storyboards (for one visually and one hearing-impaired user) illustrating a bus journey on a route of their choice using the technology proposed.
- A short film covering the points above (maximum duration 7 minutes).
The submission deadline is 13th February 2015.
Entries will be assessed based on the following assessment criteria:
- Effectiveness for visually-impaired people or how useful the solution is to provide information to visually-impaired passengers – easy to use and reliable.
- Effectiveness for hearing-impaired people or how useful the solution is to provide information to hearing-impaired passengers – easy to use and reliable.
- The proposed solution is innovative. This could be because it takes a different approach than existing solutions, achieves significant cost reductions, uses a new technology or uses technology from another domain.
- The proposed solution is cost effective. For reference, existing solutions cost in the region of £2,500 – £3,500 per bus.
- Presentation, clarity and quality of the proposal.
We will shortlist five finalists and invite them to present their idea to an expert judging panel on the 13th March at the Big Bang Fair 2015.
The Big Bang Fair is the largest celebration of engineering and science for young people in the UK and the finalists work will be exhibited at the fair.
Submit your entry
Need to know
- Remember to explain the solution clearly. We need to be able to understand it.
- Consider the criteria the assessment team will be looking for. Make sure these points are covered.
- A professional camera is not required to make the film, a mobile phone or tablet can be used.
- If a film is submitted it should be uploaded to YouTube and the link submitted as the entry.